Spring design

The Wet Poem

The Jailbird Poet welcomes you to the blog pages. Enjoy your stay.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gardening

Merry Meet all,

If you're like me, you can't resist the garden centers. I have potted up 2 sages, a cilantro, parsley, chives, thyme, and bay laurel. I did have the herbs in my garden but thanks to rain and ugh-slugs, I had to pot up the less fragrant herbs. The rosemary is in the garden as well as the marigolds-they repel slugs. I have learned a lot lately in my gardening adventure. Remember the golden rule- Don't use pesticides to rid your garden of unwanted insects or you also keep away the beneficial insects. THose guys will keep away from the garden and not eat the slugs and snails. Even slugs and snails have a job to do, but if you don't have bees, butterflies or other kinds, then your garden may not thrive as well.

I hope you're all up to your elbows in soil, clearing away weeds and poking for flower buds. Look for healthy plants at the garden centers and be kind to your houseplants too. I misted, fed, watered and added fresh soil to my two big spider plants. Spider plants rid the air of toxins and so they deserve some extra treatment occasionally.

Even weeds are useful. I pick lots of dandelions for my 2 guinea pigs, Minerva and Snowball. They love the dandelions and get lots of vitamins from them. Dandelions are good in salads, wine, and whatever else you can think of. I own an old copy of a weed cookbook. So the next time you mow the lawn, think twice when you see dandelions. The vitamins are high in protein, calcium phosphorus, iron, riboflavin, niacin and Vitamins A and B1. Wow! My piggies are pretty smart, since they get the vitality and vitamins from the dandelions.

Well happy gardening! Blessed Be
Spiderwitch




Post #2
You wroteon June 18, 2009 at 2:32pm
Here are some more gardening tips!!

Before you throw out your coffee filters, get a bowl and store your used coffee grounds in it. Then toss your coffee grounds into your garden. Why? They deter slugs and act as natural mulch and compost for your garden. Also, earthworms love coffee grounds. Earthworms aerate the soil. They are beneficial insects. A sign of good soil is soil that contains lots of hard working earthworms.

Slugs also don't like sharp eggshells. So save and add those to your garden, too. There-compost, bug repellent and mulch-from your own kitchen.

blessed be,
Lady Spiderwitch

No comments: